How to Play AVCHD files on Mac OS X January 31, 2009Posted by asimag in AVCHD, MacBook Pro, OS X Leopard, Sony HDR-CX7.
Tags: iLife 09, iMovie 09, Toast
To play your AVCHD movie files (.mts, .m2ts) you can use one of the following options:
VLC Player (FREE)
Download VLC Player from http://www.videolan.com and start playing your AVCHD movies. You may required iLife 08 or 09 for playback.
Toast 9 or 10
Toast Player which is included with Toast 9 or 10 can play AVCHD files beautifully. Another advantage of Toast is fast conversion of .mts and .m2ts files to any other format you like.
Updated: 31 Jan 2009
New Blog created January 30, 2009Posted by asimag in 3664.
add a comment
Please also visit my new Blog:
Jan 30, 2009
Nokia E71 Firmware 110.07.127 and URDU language Problem December 3, 2008Posted by asimag in E71, Nokia Symbian, Pakistan, Urdu.
If you live in Pakistan and have recently updated your E71 with new firmware 110.07.127 using Nokia Software Updater then you have fallen a victim of changed Keyboard mapping.
For example (.) period symbol now does not print period(.) it produces (?)question mark, strange!! You will also note that URDU, ARABIC and FARSI language are now replaced with ITALIC, FRENCH etc.
I have looked every where but you can only restore your keyboard language by visiting Nokia Care Center. My advice is not to update to this new firmware.
Closest solution I have found to remap my keys to correct ones is to use product code 0566976 instead of 0559577. This code will also restore to phone default language URDU, FARSI and ARABIC, but some keys are still different but you will know where they are.
To change product code you can use NEMESIS or google NOKIA debranding guide.
You can also use Phoenix to change code and upload firmware in one single shot.
Quick Shortcuts Keyboard Tips Nokia E71 October 30, 2008Posted by asimag in E71, N95, N95 8GB, Nokia Symbian.
1. To turn bluetooth ON / OFF from keyboard Long Press *
2. To switch Profile from General to Silent and vice versa Long Press #
3. While doing a contact search in standby mode number keys don’t display corresponding letter, to have them display correct letters tap the function key once before typing anything.
4. To change writing language or turn OFF/ON predictive text input press function key + spacebar
5. Long press of 0 activates web browser, second press leads to browser bookmarks
6. To mark/select multiple item press SHIFT and press DOWN on Navi button
7. To mark/select single item press SHIFT and CENTER button inside Navi button
8. To turn ON/OFF numeric keypad press FUNCTION twice.
9. Pressing RETURN(ENTER) on standby application icon shortcut will open them.
10. When in lock mode hit CENTER Navi button to display large time
11. to copy marked/selected text press FUNCTION+CTRL+C to paste press FUNC+CTRL+V
12. To move a page up or down press FUNC+CTRL+Navi UP/DOWN. Remember pressing FUNC 2 times makes it as a sticky
13. Pressing Shift + Backspace = delete letters after cursor
14. Hold down left soft key to read out new text messages.
15. Shift+Chr jumps directly to language selection.
Must have Apps for your iPhone October 15, 2008Posted by asimag in iPhone.
iPhone sure is a great phone but not without the following Applications. If you have bought new phone, you should go through following:
You can install following Apps on Jailbroken iphone:
- SMSd (1.4) BiteSMS (for version 2 and up): to forward messages and to create SMS templates and much more. Best iPhone Application. I rate it among the top five.
- BossPrefs: This application is must have to start and stop services such as SSH, Web Server, Safari Download, Bluetooth, Wifi, Autolock, TinyProxy, Share Drive (AFP) etc.
- VNsea: If you need to remotely control your home PC or Linux Server. Very fast and good VNC client. I am in love with it.
- Sketches: Your kids will love this application. You can also take photo and draw on it.
- TinyProxy: If you want to tether iPhone to your mac to use Internet while on the move.
- Finder: Browser file system on iphone just like Mac Finder or Windows Explorer. Copy or Move files change permissions, create folders. Finder also works with Preview and TextEdit Apps if you have installed them.
- Customize/Categories: Change look and feel of your iphone. Adjust icon locations on home screen. Hide Applications you don’t want to use etc.
- Sysinfo: Restart SpringBoard. It just like refresh if you have manually installed any application. Also shows all processes and much more.
- VNotes: Your Voice Recorder.
- Search: Search any contact. You can also type first few characters of company name and it will find the contact for you.
- iSpit: Store documents on your iphone for example, pdf, excel/word etc and view in safari with this light weight web server. You don’t need to connect with edge or Wifi. When you have finished viewing you can stop the server.
Fun and Games:
Update: July 2009
I have moved this Blog to new Address:
Please post comments on new Blog. I will disable further comments on this blog.
With Leopard My Nokia E71 and N95 some times tether correctly and often it does not work. It Connects and then suddenly Disconnects. The status in top bar continue to display Disconnecting…. until I boot it.
In the event of emergency when I wanted to connect my Mac OS X (Leopard) with Nokia to browser internet or check my emails, it often does not work.
So here is the simple solution:
As Leopard Default Nokia 3G/GPRS script does not work for me. It has problems. You need to download Ross Barkman’s Script from his site. Just scroll down to Nokia Section and download Nokia 3G (EDGE/UMTS) Script or click this link to download. Copy the script whole folder into your RootDrive>>Library>>Modem Scripts Folder.
Just pair you Nokia as usually you do from Bluetooth Icon in the top. Follow the instructions in Wizard and check both isync and use as a modem checkboxes.
When wizard finishes goto System Preferences>> Network >> Bluetooth (Select from Left).
Click on Advance. Click on Modem and then Select Vendor as Other.
In Model Select Nokia 3G CID1 script
Dial Mode should be Ignore Dial tone when dialing
Leave the all other settings as it is. Click OK to return to previous screen.
In telephone type your APN. I use warid. Also remember to put APN in your mobile Phone (Tools>>Settings>>Connection>>Packetdata>>Accesspoint). You can also check this site for Access Point Name.
Also check “show modem status in menu bar” and click apply.
Now you can connect with your mobile internet by clicking on telephone icon on top. No more problems for me.
VLC 0.9.2 and Toast 9 plays AVCHD smoothly on Mac September 25, 2008Posted by asimag in AVCHD, MacBook Pro, Video.
1 comment so far
Yes, the latest release of VLC player and Toast 9.2 can play AVCHD footage quite smoothly, even full HD resolution. It can also de-interlace while playing. You may require core2duo computer. I have not tested it on other cpu’s.
If you need to convert AVCHD format to any other format like quicktime intermediate codec or Apples new proRes codec you can do so in Toast. The amazing part is that toast can convert real fast as compared to Voltac stand alone converter. In results toast is at least 50x faster than Voltac converter on Intel Macs.
Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update increases Graphics Performance September 16, 2008Posted by asimag in MacBook Pro, OS X Leopard.
1 comment so far
Today I installed latest OS X Leopard update 10.5.5 and guess what my cider games and avchd playback performance increased substantially.
I have ATI X1600 graphics card in my macbook pro and Need for speed Carbon performed quite well with this update. Also new Video LAN VLC player plays AVCHD files (.mts, .ts, .m2ts) files flawlessly even De-interlacing turned on. Toast Video Player also plays these HD file formats very smooth now.
Thanks Apple for this performance boost in this new update.
Nokia Symbian Phone automatically starts Installation when turned on September 16, 2008Posted by asimag in N73, N95, N95 8GB, Nokia Symbian.
When you turn on your Nokia Phone starts Installation and then gives message that it is unable to complete installation. This message is very annoying and it appears every time you turn on your phone or insert memory card.
Here is the Solution: You need Xplore and Drakkarious Application.
Install Drakkarious on your phone, Drakkarious will install three apps: hellocarbide, CapsON and CapsOFF. Start Hellocarbide and press yes every time this will allow to view inside private FOLDER. Now turn off security by executing CapsOFF application.
Start X-plore and in Tools>Configuration menu turn on show hidden files and System Files options.
Now go to memory card view PRIVATE folder on it. There will be Folder inside with the name 10202DCE. Delete all files inside this folder have names with numbers/character that are meaningless.
UCWeb6 Web browser, Fast & Clean July 31, 2008Posted by asimag in 3664.
I recently installed UCWeb6 browser on my E71. Its very cool and really fast. Try it and you will be amazed. You can download it from there web site: